Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter: 8.3 Million Copies in 24 Hours

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has sold 8.3 million copies in its first 24 hours in the United States alone, shattering all records for fastest selling book ever (of course all of those records were set by previous Potter books).

Personally, I stood in line at a bookstore in Dupont Circle to get mine at midnight on Friday.  In a store with virtually no children, the line snaked all the way through the store and outside into the circle.  I finished the 750+ page book Sunday morning.

Without giving anything away, I'll say that I have to agree with the review over at Entertainment Weekly, calling the book "stunningly beautiful."  There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that fantasy genius J.K. Rowling had this entire epic planned out from the start.  I say with confidence that I have never been more emotionally invested in any fiction than I have been in Harry Potter.  The Potter films show only a brief glimpse into Rowling fantastic world, and anyone who has only seen them is missing out.  

The final book was bittersweet, of course.  Sweet in that it was such a wonderfully perfect end, but bitter in that it is an end of something so wonderfully perfect.  This is a brilliant literary achievement for the ages that will rank among, if not surpass, greats like the Lord of Rings and Narnia. 

Bravo, JK, your success is well earned.  

No comments: