Tuesday, August 26, 2008

NCAA Football, 2008: Week 1

So its only a few days until college football 2008 begins! I'm expecting a much less crazy year this time around, starting with a first week in which I predict Appalachin State won't start 1-0 against the FBS Division. But really, most of the games are going to be pretty boring, but there are a few interesting match-ups out there. Of course, these predictions are ridiculously speculative the first week of the season.

NC State at South Carolina. Gamecocks. If Tom O'Brien can make BC a consistently mediocre team, I'm sure he can eventually get 8-9 wins for the Wolfpack as well. But they aren't ready yet, so I'm going with the Ol' Ball Coach on this one.

Syracuse at Northwestern. Northwestern. The countdown of the year is how many weeks until Greg Robinson gets fired? This (supposedly) winnable game will be the first nail in his coffin. Of course, Northwestern did lose to Duke, the worst team in America as a matter of law, last season.

Appalachian State at #7 LSU. LSU. The defending national champs of the FBS and FCS divisions clash a year after the Mountaineers upset Michigan in the Big House - the only time I have ever watched the Big Ten network. Can they beat LSU and either rookie QB? My money is on "no."

Jacksonville State at Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech. Speaking of LSU's ex-QBs, Ryan Perrilloux plays for Jacksonville State now. Will that be enough to lead them over the Rumblin Wreak as it makes the huge adjustment to the Triple Option? My money's on nope.

#24 Alabama at #9 Clemson. Alabama. And let the chokage that is Clemson begin!

Michigan State at Cal. Michigan State. I'm sure I'm going against the tide with this pick, but I really like Michigan State under Dantonio until I am proven wrong. And Cal lost to Stanford AND Washington last season (plus, you know, 4 other teams).

#20 Illinois at #6 Missouri. Missouri. I'm predicting a step back this year for the Illini without Rashard Mendenhall.

Washington at #21 Oregon. Oregon. I really REALLY want the Huskies to win this game (and all the rest of them too) because I really do like Ty Willingham and Jake Locher is going to be become such a good QB, but I just don't think they have what it takes to get the job done at Autzen Stadium.

Fresno State at Rutgers. Fresno State. Loss number one (of many) in the post Ray Rice era. I don't care what anyone says, Mike Teel is a crappy QB.

#18 Tennessee at UCLA. Tennessee. The main story of this game - will UCLA have anyone healthy to play QB? This one will be over in a hurry.

Kentucky at Louisville. Louisville. This is a hard one. Kentucky is going to take a huge step back this season and Louisville isn't close to recovering from last season's debacle, but I'll pick the home team in what could be a very close match-up.

Upset Specials:

#17 Virginia Tech at East Carolina. ECU. VT should continue to field a non-existent offense behind Sean Glennon, one of the worst QBs in a league that has had very few decent ones (see, e.g. Drew Weatherford and Kyle Wright). And with a ton of loses to their defense, I think VT could be in for a long season. Fortunately they play in the ridiculously weak ACC Coastal, so they stand a good chance of winning their division. But these pesky non-conference games could easily get them. ECU was the second best team in NC last year after all.

Utah at Michigan. Utah. Ok, I don't think these is an upset, but somehow Michigan is favored. Utah is a very competitive, experienced team. Michigan is undergoing a fundamental change in coaching style, philosophy, and offensive system. Also, Rich Rod went 3-8 in his first season at WVU. And has basically no one to play QB in an offense very dependent on that position. Everything points to a second straight opening game loss for the Wolverines.

1 comment:

J said...

Damn...

You hit both your upset specials. I am going to be a loyal reader of your NCAA picks this season.