Thursday, September 25, 2008

NCAA Football, 2008: Week 5

And so begins a week with the weirdest Top 25 I have ever seen, and one I doubt will last for long with BYU, Utah, Boise State, TCU, ECU, Fresno State, and - most ridiculously of all - Vanderbilt ranked. And I don't get why some of these teams are ranked and UConn isn't. Guess I am going to actually have to care about these teams now...I'm also switching up my method this week to better take advantage of this "technology" thing. My pick will now be in bold. I won't brag on how good my picks have been this season, btw. Other than that right there.

(24) TCU at (2) Oklahoma. Well at least the unfounded ranking of TCU will end quickly.

(8) Alabama at (3) Georgia. I don't think that Alabama is really the number 8 team, but this is definitely a dangerous one for Georgia.

(9) Wisconsin at Michigan. At least Michigan's pain reflects my own.

(22) Illinois at (12) Penn State. We'll see how good these teams are this year, but from what I've seen, I like Penn State a lot.

(13) South Florida at NC State. We'll see if USF sleepwalks through another game.

Tennessee at (15) Auburn. Tenn is the latest program in meltdown.

Maryland at (20) Clemson. Upset pick of the week. After starting off stiff as a board, Maryland has exploded on offense the last two weeks.

(25) Fresno State at UCLA. Unfortunately Fresno State's unfounded ranking will continue another week.

UConn at Louisville. Remember this one from the phantom fair catch last year? Louisville will be looking for revenge.

Virginia at Duke. Its a sure sign of the apocalypse. Duke is FAVORED in a game. And even worse I'm PICKING them. Everyone head for humanities last refuge in Alaska, the end is near.

UNC at Miami. I think Miami is on the right track this season.

Colorado at Florida State. See? I told you FSU sucked.

Purdue at Notre Dame. Week Two of ND playing a team with a pulse. Week Two of a loss for the Irish.

Pillow Fight of the Week:

Marshall at WVU. PLEASE BILL STEWART. You can go 2-10 but you CANNOT lose to Marshall. I will renounce my affiliation with the Mountaineers if we lose.

UPDATE: Best thing I have read on a message board this week: "Fiesta Bowl - the most devastating victory in the history of college football."

5 comments:

Scott said...

Wait, you are pulling for UConn to be ranked, and mocking the 'Dores ranking - but Vandy's 4-0 with 2 SEC wins already (including over Spurrier) while if memory serves UConn's latest wins are over mighty Baylor and UVA, who you are predicting will be defeated by Duke. I can't say that that makes a clean-cut case for ranking UConn over Vandy.

But maybe we are just seeing generally mediocre teams outside of USC, Florida and a few Big 12 squads. There seem to be more "eh" teams than usual.

Paine said...

Maaan, I wanted to post up my predictions and call Oregon State to beat USC, but I got distracted this morning. Oregon State does this every year; Cal last year, USC the year before, Cal the year before that, and a 1-point loss to LSU the year before that. They always get up big for big games.

They're currently up 21-0 at halftime and they'll get the ball back in the 3rd quarter. Even if USC comes back to win it, though, if Oklahoma and Georgia win their games, I can't imagine USC staying higher than #3. And given my post a couple days ago on USC's easy schedule, that probably means that their national title hopes are already dashed.

Hamilton said...

Thats exactly what I think Scott. There are 5-8 really good teams and everyone else is mediocre at best. I think we should basically just be ranking between USC, Oklahoma, Missouri, Florida, and maybe Georgia and LSU.

And I didn't even think Oregon State-USC was worth picking. I should have learned my lesson on that one already.

PS Paine -I'm coming to LA tomorrow, let me know if you want to get together.

Scott said...

Nice call on wins for Duke and the Terrapins. And UConn and Northwestern are now 5-0. Interesting year.

Paine said...

I realize this is pretty late, so I'm not gonna make a whole post about it, but I think TCU is going to beat Oklahoma and Alabama is going to beat Georgia.