Wednesday, February 20, 2008

More on Morons

Here's a story about a woman who was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving, was taken in by a cop, interrogated on camera and handcuffed and knocked to the floor by the cop, who then mysteriously turns off the camera. He then turns it back on some minutes later to show a view of the woman lying in a pool of her own blood.

I can hardly even comment on this. A pool of her own blood, people! Somehow while the camera was off she got two black eyes, severe facial contusions, straight-up cuts requiring stitches, and a couple of broken teeth. Who knows how, I mean, anything could have happened while the camera just randomly happened off to be off for no reason at all, right? According to the officer, she slipped and fell, and that's how the area around both her eyes, designed by millions of years of evolution to be protected by our large orbital bones and protruding noses from nearly any large flat impact, managed to end up destroyed beyond easy recognition as skin. Uggghhh, and so forth.

The officer was fired, but that's not nearly enough, it's not even on the same continent as the proverbial ballpark; if'n I had my druthers, he'd be in jail with a badge sewn onto his striped jail shirt for easy identification by inmates just in case, you know, any inmates want to say hello. I'm all about the rule of law, but if this woman were my friend or relative, I'd have a very difficult time of restraining my various baseball bats and hockey sticks from doing things they shouldn't. I think that I would restrain myself, I'm just saying. I know what my dreams would be about that night.

He was fired not because this woman's entire face was ruined to the point that there was a pool of her own blood on the floor but "for how he treated Garbarino during the whole episode." What if she had died, would her injuries still be unimportant? If two men severely beat two separate women, and one of them sustains a broken face and the other sustains The Grim Reaper's Frigid Scythe, are they not punished differently? But oh! I shouldn't have bothered asking this question, the answer is already known. See my last post about police brutality about how police got off just fine after tasering a man until he goes into a coma, from which he never leaves except in his exit from this entire plane of existence.

There have been lots of other horrible things done by officers lately, so, if you don't usually follow this stuff, don't think there's been a lull just because I haven't talked about it. There was just something so egregious about this particular story that I felt I had to post it. Hm, what was that something... oh, right. The whole... woman lying on the ground in a pool of her own blood... thing.

No comments: