Monday, February 4, 2008

NYG Super win

First, I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge a couple of mistakes I have made. I was annoyed when the Giants promoted their current GM to the GM position. He had led their previous drafts and I thought he had done a poor job overseeing those drafts. He was Accorsi's hand-picked successor and the wrong choice since Accorsi sucked. I was wrong, he had an incredible draft as GM. I was wrong to be angry Coughlin came back. He did a poor job early on, but maybe he just needed to fully step into his new persona. Now that he has he did an excellent job in the post-season by getting out of the way and letting Manning win.

Now that that is out of the way, HA HA to all of those analysts who thought the Pats would dominate. This wasn't impossible to predict. It wasn't even all that hard. Not to toot my own horn, but look at what I said in my pre-game post. Pats won't run, check. Moss will be contained, check. Brady will falter, 5 sacks and 18 hits later, check. The game will be close, check. If the game is close late Manning will step up late and take the game, check. The young players will step up and play well, check. The Giants have only gotten better since they almost won in the last week of the season, check. Why was this so hard for so many to see? The Pats were apparently a bit too glitzy as they blinded almost everyone to reality. They have faults. They are a great team. They achieved incredible things this year, but their stumble in the finale was surprisingly clear to see and yet so few saw it. Sports analysts have been eating crow all day, and rightfully so. I'm not so much calling out people who said it would be close and the Pats would take it, not an awful call. More those who thought the Pats couldn't lose. Done with that crow yet, because I have some more for you.

No comments: