Wednesday, June 4, 2008

She Better Not Be VP

I agree that it seems like Clinton is posturing for the vice presidential nomination, but I think her race has done the exact opposite of making her indispensable to Obama as his VP. Everyone on the right wing and a huge chunk of the independent middle already hated her, but now she's made a giant chunk of the left wing hate her as well, meaning that putting her on his ticket as VP would help Obama with... the small percentage of the less than half of slightly more than a third of registered voters who are Democrats who supported Clinton and will only vote Democratic if she's on the ticket. That's not a very big number of people, and I don't think the VP selection process should be beholden to that select few. In fact I think having Clinton on as VP might have a net negative effect on Obama's presidential chances. Few independents and almost categorically no conservatives would even consider voting Clinton into office, and Obama's really gonna need to keep doing as well with independents and disgruntled Republicans as he did in the primaries to make sure he cleans up in November. Oh, and also Clinton is a pandering, unethical, inside-the-beltway serial liar whose presence on the ticket would fundamentally undermine Obama's core messages of honesty, change, and hope.

Also, Clinton's going about this in such a ridiculously under- and/or heavy-handed way. I don't think the best way to get a guy's VP nod is to bring up the possibility that he may be assassinated, complement John McCain at his expense, or try to steal his thunder on the night he becomes the first black presidential nominee for a major party in the history of the West. Just sayin'.

Did I mention that I think Clinton's a total douche? Or that I think she sucks? Well... I think she sucks. Like, a lot.

No comments: