Tuesday, May 26, 2009

CA Supreme Court upholds prop 8

As I suspected the CA Supreme Court upheld Prop 8. As much as I oppose Prop 8 generally, the Court made the proper ruling. Hopefully the voters will realize their error in the 2010 election. If not, at least those who already got married won't have them annulled.

Madison

3 comments:

Hamilton said...

Yeah, its not the CA Supreme Court's fault that Cali's constitution is completely ridiculous. I have always thought initiatives were stupid, but I didn't realize until Prop 8 that any state would be dumb enough to let an initiative re-write the constitution. Whats the point of even HAVING an constitution if its as easy to change as a regular law?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Madison said...

Yeah, I agree. I never liked these sorts of initiatives. We have a representative system of government for a reason. Initiatives like this make sense at the very local level, but a state the size of CA...there its just silly. If all props required legislative approval then maybe. There's a reason we make Constitutions hard to change. Certain things are just too important to throw out because the political winds have temporarily blown just a little bit in favor/against it.

P.S. the deleted comment is this 1 re-posted by me under my actual name.

Madison