Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I'm so sick of this story

My 400th post. I knew Obama was my kind of guy. Beer of his choice...bud light. I myself am a fan of the bud light and I appreciate that the President agrees with me. Now, guiness is also excellent but most of the time bud light is the way to go.

That being said, I cannot believe the President of the United States is actually wasting time sitting down with these two to discuss the situation. He should have kept his mouth shut, and now that he didn't we all have to have the President stop doing his job for a while so that he can waste time having a beer with these guys to apologize for it. There are far more important things for the President to be doing than that.

I can very easily tell you what happened between the cop and the professor. It doesn't take a rocket scientist. The cop responds to a potential break-in. Sees the guy accused of breaking in, who is in fact breaking in, it just happens to be into his own house, and confronts him. The guy decides to take offense and gives the cop a hard time. The cop decides he doesn't want to take crap from this guy and arrests him.

I have a real hard time being sympathetic to either side on this one. Professor Gates sounds like he was being a bit of a dick to the cop. Understandable that he was upset, but you know what I learned without ever having to actually get a cop pissed at me? That I really don't want a cop pissed at me. Many cops are very good guys who will basically just ignore the hard time you are giving them, I happen to be friends with a few of these. Some are assholes who will arrest you. Some are those same good guys who, if you catch them on a bad day, and they have just taken too much shit lately, will arrest you. So, I go ahead and try NOT to piss off the guys who could arrest me. On the other hand, the cop should've had more patience when he realized that he had been called to confront a guy who had forgotten his keys. I imagine if the situation were reversed the cop would not appreciate being hassled trying to get into his house, especially when already frustrated about having lost his keys.

So, what we really have here is a guy who sounds like he was being a bit overly sensitive and a pain in the ass to the cop who was just doing his job, in other words exhibiting no common sense whatsoever, and a cop who, being confronted with a guy he felt wasn't treating him properly, stopped doing his job and started being an asshole. Basically, call any local teenager and I'm sure either they have had this happen to them, or they can tell you about a couple of friends who have. They will also probably be laughing and able to tell you 10 stories of when they or their friends DIDN'T give a cop a hard time and were therefore let go/not further hassled by said cop. Forgive me if I don't feel sorry for a guy who failed to learn a lesson most of us learn in high school and a cop who was unable to empathize with a guy in a frustrating situation and instead decided to make it worse. NONE of this is worthy of the President's time, or mine, so can we PLEASE let it go? Oh, and stop making this racial, you'll notice the above didn't include any mention to race, and its totally unnecessary to do so b/c if Gates were white and behaved the same way this particular cop probably would've reacted the same way. So lets just DROP IT ALREADY.

Madison

1 comment:

Paine said...

eh i think i probably would have been a lot more of a dick to the cop if i was in gates' situation.