Friday, August 3, 2007

USC #1 in Coach's Poll

And so we officially kick off the countdown to my favorite time of year - college football season. This will be the first of undoubtly many posts this fall on this topic, near to my heart as well as those of the other founding fathers.

On that note, the Preseason Coachs' Poll has just been released. Unsurprisingly, USC has dominated the #1 spot with 45 of 60 first place votes, with LSU, Florida, Texas, and Michigan rounding out the top five and my West Virginia Mountianeers coming in at 6 (although personally I think they should be more in the 3-4 range).

Paine's alma mater Cal makes a respectable showing at #12.

Jefferson's abysmal Cavaliers unsurprisingly received 0 votes (1 less than Duke - to whom Spurrier always gives one vote - which, of course, calls into question the usefulness of this poll at all. Duke's 1 vote equals their total wins since November 20, 2004).

Somehow, Madison's Fighting Irish managed to scrap out 90 votes and finish at number 29, although personally I think they will be lucky to win 7 games this year...

3 comments:

Scott said...

Pretty predictable, for the most part. But are the Hokies really expected to be that good (#9)? And isn't Rutgers overrated (#16)? Or I am simply still in shock over the rise of Rutgers?

Hamilton said...

One has to assume that the Hokies have gotten some sympathy votes here. Although there defense was solid as a rock last year, their offense was basically anemic and will be the same personel this season. Still, unless the ACC substantially rebounds this season (unlikely) I figure that they will most likely win the conference and boast a double digit win total. We'll see how good they are in week 2 when the travel to LSU. As for Rutgers, I have no idea. They play the weakest schedule in the Big East, so they have a lot of guaranteed wins. To me they are still the team WVU beat 80-3 the year WVU went 3-8. I'm shocked FSU was ranked. This team hasn't been top 25 caliber in years and there is no reason to think they will rebound so fast because of coaching changes. I think its more likely Miami will rebound faster.

Madison said...

NOTRE DAME, NOTRE DAME, NOTRE DAME---WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO

also,

GIANTS, GIANTS, GIANTS---W0000OOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The Giants get more woohoo

Madison