Thursday, April 23, 2009

Discrimination works both ways

New Haven is discriminating against white firefighters as it tries not to discriminate aginst minorities. This is a case of race consciousness gone hay wire. The city threw out the results of a test used to determine promotions because 18 white firefighters qualified but no minority candidates did. This is a bit absurd. Either the test properly identifies those qualified for a promotion or it doesn't. If not, and it is improperly excluding qualified candidates, then throw out the results and revise the exam. If it is yielding only qualified candidates while only excluding unqualified ones, or less qualified ones, then there is no issue here, regardless of how many or how few minority applicants qualify.

When it comes to occupations where lives are on the line I really don't care who gets the job so long as it goes to the most qualified person. If this test is identifying those people and it just so happens that only white guys qualified this 1 year in this 1 city then so be it. Is it really that hard to believe that when only a dozen and a half people qualify that, randomly, 1 year, in 1 city, nationwide, those 18 people will all be of the same race? If this happens EVERY year or even MOST years, maybe somethings going on here. Be it the test itself or how the minority firefighters are being trained/selected it gets fishy if they simply can't pass that promotion exam. This outcome certainly should result in an inquiry, but the deciding factor simply cannot be race alone or else it is not right and unconstitutional. Tell me whether the exam puts those most able to save lives in a position to save lives, not their skin color.

Think of it this way, if I told you that you could choose an exam that would pick the most qualified person, or one that would favor unqualified members of a certain race, but not what that race was, which exam would you want to decide who will be running into that burning building? I think you'll choose the test thats going to make sure the guy coming to save you knows how to work the oxygen mask that will keep you alive on the way out. Alternatively, if you're applying for the job, unless you are so unqualified as to be willing to chance that your race will be the lucky one benefitted, I think you'd probably rather win or lose on your own rather then either get the job because of a BS test or get screwed out of a position you deserve.

Hey, what do I know. I'm just the guy entitled to his own facts.

Madison

1 comment:

Hamilton said...

Well I was going to comment that I thought everyone in New Haven was white, but the wikipedia says that its 37% black. Although that still doesn't tell us what percentage of firefighters are white...