Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Is the GOP dead?

In October I began to think the 2008 election might signal the end of the Republican party, or at least of the Bush Republican party. Whenever I would say it it sounded like overreaching. Like I was trying to draw too much from too little. I now think I might actually be right. I had predicted the Republicans would be dead for at least a decade and maybe 2. There is now evidence that makes me begin to truly believe this is going to be a reality.

Only 1 in 5 Americans identify as Republicans now. 21% to be precise. Thats astounding. Specter has now left the Republicans party. Just as astounding. If the Arlen Specter's of the world feel more comfortable supporting the boys in blue who is left on the right? With only 21% of the people that far right...it starts looking like the FAR right. Its so unpopular to be a Republican that everyone even approaching a moderate considers themselves a democrat or independant. Not only that, but think about the 21% they've kept. Its probably mostly places like the deep south. OK, now think how much EASIER it is to be a Republican there than independant. Some of those people probably still ID as Republicans even if they are voting Democratic.

OK, so currently the Republicans are screwed, but to count them out we need to look to the future right. So, what future? Who are the Republican leaders of tomorrow? The only leaders I see are the likes of Rush Limbaugh (henceforth the pillsboy doughman), Cheney (darth vader), Newt Gingrich (really, he really thinks he should speak publicly anymore?), Bobby "the national audience saw me speak once and asked me to never do it again " Jindal and Michael "I don't hate puppies" Steele. The Republicans' policy in Congress is to just say no to everything and then say the Dems won't compromise. It looks ridiculous given all the rejected Dem overtures and compromises and comes off as the whining and crying of a losing party that still somehow believes it should get everything that it wants even though its now lost horribly twice in a row. I'm not saying the Dems should be the Republicans, just that Republicans are acting like they are still the majority and demanding the Dems cater to their every whim. Any legitimacy to the lack of bipartisanship claim was just thrown out the window by Specter calling them absurdly far right and leaving the party in disgust.

Their policies are equally ridiculous. They continue to say the answer to everything is tax cuts. First off, no one's buying that one right now. Secondly, when AREN'T tax cuts appropriate according to Congressional Republicans. Bush has a surplus, tax cut. Bush has a deficit, tax cut, economy slows more, tax cut, big ass recession for Obama, big ass tax cut. Good econ, tax cut, moderate econ, tax cut, bad econ, tax cut. Who do they think they're fooling at this point?

Now we turn to the purely political aspect, and you have "I don't hate puppies" boy leading the way. This guy couldn't even win with his ridiculous puppy position in a race for dog lover against a cat. He visciously attacks Specter for bailing. Smart, go after the moderates, you really only need those 21 perecenters to win elections right? Plus, there is no way that the press has a dozen or so quotes from you personally, and hundreds from top Republicans, praising a guy like Specter who spent 5 decades as a leader in your party. Not a chance. You have to be "disappointed that a great American has decided to leave the party." Then you wish him the best, and throw a vague reference to how he may not have a much easier time in the primary now that he is a Democrat and let the reporters jump all over him for avoiding a tough Republican primary. Steele's too incompetent for that though and instead just does what he always does, viciously and nastily attack the opposition and then fall back on tired, old, rejected ideas. Gee, thats a good view for Republicans to take. Things have gone so well lets move to more extreme positions.

The Republican hole is so deep its hard to imagine how they could be worse off. Yet, inexplicably, they keep digging. Maybe its because there aren't any young bucks to turn the party in a new direction. I don't know, but they seem hell bent on moving further and further right. Maybe its just the cycle, more moderates leave, the center of the party is further right. The center moves further right so more moderates leave. I don't know, but if they keep this up I expect either a radical realignment of the Republican party in response or the rise of a 3rd party. That party may be in the middle for moderates who don't ever feel truly comfortable as a Dem or on the left if the moderates take over and the left feels shut out of their own party. Either way SOMETHING has to give. I just don't see the Democratic primary becoming the only election that matters nationwide. If it does, expect to see lots of interparty bickering...and a country that moves moderately left of center. Not a terrible outcome since thats about where I sit on the political spectrum...just as long as we don't go too far left. Fortunately, we have a ways to go yet before that happens (assuming of course bailouts and government takeovers are VERY temporary and don't stick around beyond the end of the current crisis, as a free markets guy I tentatively support these measures as necessary for an emergency, and ONLY emergency measure).

Madison, the fact man

No comments: