Ok, so I know this is probably not going to be a popular post today, but I just gotta say it. As I was reading through my headlines this morning, I saw one about Barney Frank. Now, usually, I could care less about what Representative Frank has to say, because basically, he is just spouting a lot of hot air while peddling frantically to figure out how to blame anyone but his committee for the current mess.
However, this particular headline caught my attention, because it mentioned that he was calling someone a homophobe. Now, who could a respected leader of the Democratic party possibly be insulting? None other than Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. Now, we all know how this blog in general feels about Scalia - generally fun to read and yet, COMPLETELY WRONG! However, I think it is beyond the pale for a leader in Congress to be calling out a Supreme Court Justice.
While it could be true that Scalia is afraid of gay people, it is also entirely possible that he really doesn't think the Federal Courts have any right saying anything about sexual positions, preferences and marraige, and that those topics are better left to the state. And I think that is an incredibly defensible position for a Constitutional scholar to have - hell, some days, I have it.
There are two point I want to make:
First, where does Barney Frank, who to the best of my knowledge is not considered a Constitutional Law scholar (though he does have a law degree) claim that Scalia is a homophobe because of his stance on gay marraige?
And secondly, as a major leader of the Democratic party, I would hope that he could have a little more class. I mean, come on, this is high school crap. He doesn't have to agree with Scalia, but the man is a Supreme Court Justice. Could we maybe have some respect for the office if not the man?
Basically, it all boils down to hoping that we were beyond name calling. Surrounded by staunch Democrats while I myself was a moderate, I heard a lot about the manners of the Republicans. Now, it seems, Dems are little better. And to me, that is a sad realization about my party. Screw it, I am joining DC Statehood Party!
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment