I decided to weigh in on this little Frank/Scalia fight as well. I think I have to agree with Abigail on this one. I don't think it helps to call people who don't agree with you a homophobe. It doesn't really matter whether its true or not, all you do is pull the debate down to a base and vile level where no one wins. This is especially true when you are fighting a battle, such as the one for gay rights, which inflames passions. You are far better served remaing calm and cool and using logic and reason. Once the debate devolves into name calling both sides just dig in their heels and see further proof that they are right in the other side's visceral nastiness.
A lot of people in this country still aren't comfortable on an emotional level with homosexuality. You don't want them viewing gay issues on that level. You want them to take a detached view, where many who are still uncomfortable with homosexuality still realize that homosexuals deserve the same rights, and should be treated in the same manner, as everyone else. Once the fight becomes about name calling people tend to react emotionally and become defensive, its just not productive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment