Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Maryland Upholds Gay Marriage Ban

In a 4-3 decision, the Maryland Court of Appeals - its highest court - has upheld the state's ban on same-sex marriage.

I've had an opportunity to peruse the opinion, and one part of the majorities "reasoning" is particularly absurd:

"While there is a history of purposeful unequal treatment of gay and lesbian
persons, and homosexual persons are subject to unique disabilities not truly indicative of their abilities to contribute to society, we shall not hold that gay and lesbian persons are so politically powerless that they constitute a suspect
class."

That's right gays, the reason we aren't a protected class is because we "aren't politically powerless enough." I wasn't aware that we had so much more political leeway than other protected classes, like racial minorities and women. Perhaps there are many more gays out there than I had originally estimated. So all of us can now sleep soundly at night, knowing that, at least in Maryland, we are a political powerhouse.

No comments: