Tuesday, September 11, 2007

NCAA Football, Week 3: Michigan REALLY Sucks Edition

So I'm pretty happy with my performance, going 7 for 10 (including 2 of my 3 upset picks - thank you Huskies and Bulls) which means I improve to 12 of 15 on the season. I apologize the Spurrier for doubting him. He told us he would contend for a divisional title this season and I will not doubt him again. Nor will I think too much of schools that beat up on crappy competition -- you know, huge wins over 1-AAs, Notre Dame, Michigan, or anyone in the ACC.

This week should be very interesting again, and if I get 70% right again, I will be extremely pleased with my performance because I really don't know where to go with most of these games. Also of note, Miami plays FIU -- could we see a redo of the brawl seen round the world?

Game of the Week: (1) USC at (14) Nebraska. Winner USC. I realize that the Trojans played like wet fish against Idaho, but I still think they are generally better than the Huskers (although I definitely think Nebraska could beat them and I don't think USC will go undefeated -- just that they will lose to someone random in a Pac-10 that is loaded this year). Sam Keller struggled too much against USC while at ASU and Wake could easily have beat them last week, so the Trojans should win in Lincoln. But I hope they lose.

(4) WVU at Maryland. WVU. In case you didn't know, Steve Slaton initially committed to Maryland before they WITHDREW HIS SCHOLARSHIP. Its the college football equivilant of trading Babe Ruth. He had a huge game against them last season and I anticipate a similar effort this year. GO EERS!

(22) Tennessee at (5) Florida. Florida. I'm really not confident in this pick, because this will be the first time UF's young defense is tested, but its in the Swamp, so I'm giving the Gators the edge.

(9) Louisville at Kentucky. Louisville. Another pick that I'm not comfortable with. Louisville gave up 555 yards to Middle Tennessee State. That's completely unacceptable and UK has a great offense -- but also lacks a defense. So in this shootout, I'll go with Brian Brohm, the nation's best drop back QB, and his great crop of receivers.

(21) Boston College at (15) Georgia Tech. Boston College. I feel like I have to make a pick in this game, even though I really don't want to, since its a game between ranked opponents. Picking BC is a gut feeling / guess.

Florida State at Colorado. Colorado. In case no one has paid attention, the Noles suck. They suck bad. They almost lost to UAB.

Pittsburgh at Michigan State. Michigan State. Former Big East coach Dantonio provides the first loss to what might be another long year for the Panthers and the Wannstache. Pitt is probably the 6th best team in a rapidly improving Big East.

Upset of the Week: (10) Ohio State at Washington. Washington. I'm really surprised by two things here. One, that OSU is ranked so highly, and that the U Dub is unranked. Note to Notre Dame: Ty can coach, and I think he will prove it once again this week.

Upset of the Week II: (16) Arkansas at Alabama. Alabama. The Hogs are NOT the 16th best team in the nation. This is the game that exposes them as pretenders, and gives Saban his first big win.

Pillow fight of the week: (0-2) Notre Dame at (0-2) Michigan. Michigan. So far this season, ND has rushed for a grand total of -8 yards. Their total yards per game are 133. They rank dead last in both categories. Seriously, Duke and Temple have more offensive production. Michigan ranks 109 in defense, giving up wel over 400 yards a game. Something has to give here. Seriously, someone has to win this game. It doesn't help Michigan's case that Chad Henne isn't going to play. I'm picking Michigan for two reasons. One, their offense should be able to score against an average D, and ND's is probably below average. Two, ND doesn't run a spread offense, so Michigan should be reasonable competent against it. And against this offense, that should be more than enough.

8 comments:

Paine said...

I like your picks, except I prefer GATech over BC. I'm also pretty surprised that Washington isn't ranked, and of course I'm picking them just for Pac-10 bias. Five ranked teams, here we come!

Madison said...

I can't really argue with ND losing, again, but I can argue with the spread offense logic. I realize they've been lit up by the spread, but its not like they've been dominating more traditional offenses. Until they stop someone, anyone, I think it a mistake to rely upon the fact that ND doesn't run the spread to give the edge to the unable to remain in place rock against the stopped by any object force. On the flip side, maybe ND can pick up a yard or 2 on the ground...OK, 2 might be pushing it.

Hamilton said...

They haven't played a traditional offense, so we don't yet know if they can stop one. And two, considering 2 bad defenses, I'm going with the team that has scored an offense TD.

As for BC, Paine, I'm going with them because they have one quality win (over Wake) and one decent win (over NC State). Georgia Tech has been untested against 1-AA Samford and should be Division II Notre Dame.

Madison said...

Aw c'mon ND is not D2

Scott said...

"Duke and Temple have more offensive production ..." - Talk about a phrase that brings a smile to my face. Hell, more than that - it's like Mardi Gras has come early.

Hamilton said...

How can Notre Dame be this bad? Halfway through the second quarter, they are losing 24-0 and have a grand total of zero yards, with -41 rushing yards. Thats impressive. Really. Against a Michigan that hasn't stopped anyone.

Paine said...

The Michigan game isn't over, but seriously, this Notre Dame team looks it could be an all-timer in the horribleness department.

Scott said...

Nice picks (mostly).

Though between Louisville's loss tonight and Utah's giant win over UCLA today that Louisville/Utah game in 3 weeks is looking pretty interesting.