Thursday, September 6, 2007

NCAA Football, Week 2: Michigan Sucks Edition

Well, coming off of my 100% efficiency from last week, I'm feeling over confident this week, so no doubt I will suck it up. Plus there are many, many more interesting games this week, so I'll be picking a lot more of them, increasing my odds at stumbling.

So, another set of Mountaineers made my day this week when the now infamous Michigan Blue lost to App State. And to think, before that game I was totally like "why the hell do I need the Big 10 Network anyway?" But now it has proven its usefulness. The Notre Dame game also brought a smile to my face. So now, on to this week's pick'em.

Game of the Week: (9) Virginia Tech at (2) LSU: LSU wins this one in a defensive show down. Last week we saw ECU totally shut down Tech's anemic offense. When you can only score 10 offensive points at home versus the pirates, you'll be lucky to put up any in Death Valley. Tech's special teams or defense will put up 6 though.

Miami at (5) Oklahoma: Oklahoma. I think Miami will be better than FSU this year, but OU will be far too much for them to handle.

South Carolina at (11) Georgia: Georgia will be too much for the improved other USC.

Notre Dame at (14) Penn State: Penn State. Its the immovable object versus the highly stoppable force. I'm putting the over/under on Clauson's sacks at 10 and ND total offense at 100. Penn State will win big in this grudge match.

(16) Nebraska at Wake Forest: Nebraska. Wake definitely has the ability to win this one, but I have a feeling the won't. Could be close, but no one will look past the Decons again.

Oregon at Michigan: I'm going against the tide and picking Michigan in this one. I understand that the Ducks run the same offense as App State with bigger guys, I still think that Big Blue will bounce back, if only because Oregon is a prepetual under-achiever.

Pillow fight of the week: Duke at Virginia: Virginia. These teams lost to Wyoming and UConn by a combined score of 68-17. In a battle that very well might determine last place in the ACC, Duke will continue on their way to finishing this season 0-12 and extending their losing streak to 32. If Duke somehow wins, Al Groh had better start looking for another job now.

Upset of the week: (19) TCU at (7) Texas: TCU. Texas couldn't do anything against Arkansas St's D last week. That spells bad news against the immovable wall of TCU.

Upset of the week II: South Florida at (17) Auburn: USF. Auburn was bad against KSU. USF has a great D and a great QB. Count to up for the Big East.

Upset of the week III: (22) Boise State at Washington: Washington. Ty Willingham and Charlie Weis can wave at each other as they led their programs in separate directions. Washington looked great against Syracuse and their new QB is possibly the next Pat White. I'm betting Boise's winning streak ends Saturday.

4 comments:

Scott said...

"These teams lost to Wyoming and UConn by a combined score of 68-17."

Just stop and ponder that for a second - to Wyoming and UConn. Wow.

I think TCU/Texas is the game of the week, though I think Texas should eke out a win - though I won't be surprised if they don't. Washington/Boise St. could be good too as Washington's definitely improving, but again I'd bet on the favorite in that one.

Hamilton said...

No comment on USF v. Auburn though?

I had no idea what to do with the Cincy - Oregon St game, but no matter what I thought, I didn't think Cincy would win by 30. The Beavs are a quality team. This is a huge win for the big east.

Scott said...

Huge with a capital H, U, G and E - though no one east of the Rockies is likely to realize it. I mean people were saying very good things about Oregon St. and then ... that.

USF is a school on the rise, no doubt - but I've got to go with Auburn there. Bet againt Tommy Tuberville? And Auburn at home? No thanks.

So yeah that means I'm expecting the favorites to win which is really boring, but that's what I expect (though TCU ...).

Scott said...

USF and Washington - you're amazing. :)