Wednesday, September 19, 2007

NCAA Football, Week 4: Notre Dame Sucks Edition

So, 7/10 again last week, not bad at all, bringing me to a total of 19/25 on the season. Also, although I was wrong about Washington, in some ways I was right about FSU. They did suck badly, they just sucked less than Colorado. This week presents more close calls, so I'll once again aim for 70% efficiency.

Game of the week: (12) South Carolina at (2) LSU. LSU. How did South Carolina move all the way up to number 12 by beating South Carolina State? This week will bring them back down. LSU will be way to much for the Gamecocks in Death Valley. Might be close at the half, but won't be by the end.

Arizona at (6) Cal. Cal. Redemption in Berkeley after the lose at Arizona last year that cost them a trip to the Rose Bowl.

(10) Penn State at Michigan. Penn State. Penn State is looking good. Michigan has been blown out once and lost to a 1-AA team. ND is does not count as a quality win for either.

(22) Georgia at (16) Alabama. Alabama. So, by barely beating the number 16 team, Bama takes over its ranking? That seems a little high to me. Not sure about this one, but when in doubt in the SEC, go with the home team.

Maryland at Wake Forest. Maryland. Not sure about this one at all, but Wake's only win is over Army by 11. Its redemption time for the Terripans.

Michigan State at Notre Dame. Michigan State. Will Notre Dame get into positive rushing yards this week? I'm thinking no. Soon it will be to the point where picking the ND games is just padding my stats. But when you have your own TV deal and BCS deal, this is what you get.

UConn at Pitt. Pitt. The first Big East conference game of the year, and most likely the battle for 7th place in the conference. UConn won it in OT last year. Its probably a toss up between two bad teams, so I'll give it to the Panthers this time.

Oregon State at Arizona State. Arizona State. When I think to myself how deep the Pac-10 is, somehow I always forget the Sun Devils. I won't this week when they beat the Beavers.

Washington at UCLA. Washington. Let's see, a quality lose to Ohio State or a blow out lose to 0-2 Utah? How will I ever decide?

(21) Kentucky at Arkansas. Kentucky. As I said, the razorbacks are pretenders. Its not Darren McFadden, but Kentucky held a high-quality Louisville running game to 100 yards. And the Razorbacks gave up a lot of points to Bama. News flash: Kentucky's Offense is much more potent.

5 comments:

Scott said...

Okay, I agree with you on 6 of these, but ... tarting with the one I'm least confident about and moving up:

I'd take UConn over Pitt. True that might simply be because I have a firmer grasp on Pitt and they are bad so I assume they'll lose ... but hey, they are bad and for some reason I doubt UConn is quite as bad.

I'd take OR State over AZ State - though I'll admit that may be slightly affected by an affinity for those from Corvallis. Still, I think they're a better team than AZ State, though I'd like their chances more if that game wasn't in Tempe.

I'm not ready to jump on the Nick Saban at Bama bandwagon, and people often overlook the fact that Georgia is not a bad team (they are just not as good as Florida). So I'm taking Georgia.

And the disagreement that I feel best about - I'd take Wake over Maryland. But then you admit to not being sure about your pick there at all. I think with good reason. :)

Scott said...

That should be "starting" of course.

Paine said...

I think Cal will beat Arizona, but it won't be a cakewalk. Arizona should be good, they've had great recruiting classes the last few years and if they play well they're very dangerous (see last year). So, while I think Cal wins, I think it'll be a good game and maybe not so good for Cal's ranking.

For UCLA v Washington, I take UCLA. I think last week was an aberration for them. Washington is a good team, but I expect the Bruins to bounce back. The winner of this game should break back into the top 25.

Hamilton said...

Oh, I'm not sure about the Pitt game at all - they are a bad team. But UConn only beat Temple because of a blown call. But hey, go Huskies, I hate Pitt.

I too have an affection for Oregon State, but I really don't think they can get it done.

I also wanted to make clear that I do not think Bama is good. I just don't think Georgia is good either. I won't be surprised it UGA wins.

I agree that UCLA could go the other way, but my current affection for the Huskies has led me to possibly over-estimate them. This game should prove me right or wrong.

So overall, this could be a bad week for my prediction.

Hamilton said...

Well it was a good week for scott's disagreements with me - since he got 3 of those 4 right.

Didn't see the Syracuse over Louisville coming - Brohm should have gone pro. It's going to be a long year.