It's been a while this season since we had a bunch of "upsets" so I'm calling for more this week.
Louisville at (6) West Virginia. West Virginia. This used to be the Big East game of the year, but now its an afterthought for most college football watchers. Not for us Mountaineer fans, who still fear Brian Brohm and the (formerly) potent Louisville offense. That said, WVU is hot hot hot right now on offense and defense, while the Louisville offense has struggled against much worse teams and the Cardinals defense, well, they gave up a ton of points to Syracuse. LET's GOOOO MOUNTAINEERS!
Illinois at (1) Ohio State. Illinois. OSU seems like it plays all of its "tough" Big 10 games at home (not than any Big 10 teams are any good). Still, I think the Illini are a dangerous team that's not done making waves yet. Yes, I'm aware that this pick will look foolish when OSU wins by 30.
(9) Arizona State at UCLA. UCLA. Let's see, UCLA beats Cal, BYU, and Oregon State but loses to Notre Dame, Wazzou, and Arizona. So yeah, UCLA is playing a good team, so they will probably win this one (or at least one of its next two, against Oregon and USC).
(5) Kansas at Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State. The Cowboys should have taken down Texas (who I still think is crap) and this Kansas's toughest game so far.
(17) Auburn at (10) Georgia. Auburn. Auburn is clutch against top 10 teams on the road.
Florida State at (11) Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech. Thanks for beating BC for me, Noles. Think you can do the same to the even more hated Hokies? No? I don't think so either.
(16) UConn at Cinicinnati. UConn. No matter how this game goes, if UConn beats Syracuse next week and WVU runs the table, then the show down in Morgantown on November 25 will decide the Big East Champion. Seriously, Mike Tranghese must have some kind of demonic power to make these seemingly meaningless later season match-ups mean so much (see: Rutgers at WVU last year).
Fresno State at (12) Hawaii. Fresno State. This is BY FAR the toughest game so far for the Rainbow Warriors and they have looked by against worse teams. I say the BCS dream ends Saturday.
Texas Tech at (14) Texas. Texas Tech. As we know, I think Texas sucks.
South Florida at Syracuse. USF. USF was once ranked number 2. Now they are tied with the Orange for last in the Big East. At least they will move up to 7th after this one.
(15) USC at Cal. USC. Sorry Paine, but Pete Carroll has never lost a game in November. I do hope that ends here though.
(18) Florida at South Carolina. Florida. Wow, thats was a fast collapse by the Gamecocks.
Air Force at Notre Dame. Air Force. ND still has the worst offense in the NCAA. And an idiot calling their plays.
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Some of these are really cool picks I wouldn't have thought of - and I really like 'em. That said I've got pretty big doubts on 2 of them. I think more of Kansas than you, so that's one. And as to Air Force ... really? Really? I know that Notre Dame is impossibly bad, but can they lose to 2 service academies in the same year? I mean sure than can ... but I can't quite yet get my head around the concept. It boggles the mind. But given how bad they are I guess it could happen.
As to an OSU loss against the Illini - intriguing proposition. I'm going to give that one some thought.
Well, the OSU-Illinios game was really close last year, so keep that in mind.
As for Notre Dame, you do realize that Air Force is favored in the game. Best case for ND, this is a close one and in a close one, I'll take the team that has been there, and knows how to win (see Navy last week). Air Force has won 7 games, it doesn't matter than they weren't against the best competition, this team knows what its like to win. ND just hasn't been there. Plus ND is coached by the man that just went for it on 4 and long TWICE in the Navy game in field goal range of an average kicker.
Oh, I think you are right, and the line is right, and that the coach is terrible (as wacky as Les Miles, but without a talented team), and more likely than not Air Force will win. I just still have difficulty getting used to being able to process such things. The preexisting rules in my head want to block the idea. Too much cognitive dissonance. But yeah, Air Force should win, even if I have trouble processing that.
I think Hawaii will beat Fresno State and that Brennan will put up multiple touchdowns.
I think ASU will beat UCLA, but I think it'll be close.
I think Kansas will eat Oklahoma State for breakfast, but in any case this should be an exciting, high-scoring, shootout of an affair.
I agree with all your other picks (yes, even with USC over Cal... sigh... what a wasted season).
And as for matchups you didn't mention, I think Michigan will lose to Wisconsin (I have zero faith in Michigan and will keep calling them to lose until they do... which they will), and I think BC will lose to Maryland.
Paine - I think you are likely right about Michigan, but as I have repeatedly stated, they are not even worthy of me picking their games, so you know that I share your contempt of them.
My only point about UCLA is that I think they will win at least one of their last three, not saying for sure that it will be this one.
As for BC, I hope you are right, but MD has been pretty bad lately.
Post a Comment