I have been greatly bothered by two Court decisions in the Arab/North African world as of late:
On was in Saudi Arabi: A gang rape victim was sentenced to punishment for committing the crime of traveling without permission from a male member of her family. She received six months in jail and 200 lashes. Her initial punishment was half that, but it was doubled because of her attempt to raise media attention. the punishment for the rapists range from 2 to nine years.
The Second was in Sudan: Today a teacher was sentenced to 15 days in jail for "offending Islam."
She allowed a class of seven year olds to vote on a name for a stuffed animal and they chose Muhammed. This was extremely offensive and therefore charges were filed against her.
These decisions worry me. Generally I am in favor of moral relavism. It's not my place to judge another's society or actions. There are some things that are clearly wrong, but most things fall somewhere withing a gray area. What bother's me about these decisions is that I don't know what to think.
They will back up the racist, eurocentric, xenophobic, element of our society.
They are an afront to any thought that liberalism is spreading in the Middle East.
I think punishing a rape victim is clearly wrong.
I don't think there is any justification for this.
I think its a shame that we are in a position with Saudi Arabi, like we are with Turkey, like we are in Pakistan, Like we are in Isreal, and like we are in Egypt that we can't apply political pressure in its extreme forms to stop such abuses of basic human rights.
I think the fact that one of our "closest allies" has a worse view of woman's rights than they did in the 10th Century, is a travesty.
On the other hand, I think the rather minor penalty to the school teacher is something that is difficult to judge Sudan for. 80 years ago we put a teacher on trial for teaching evolution in our schools. Religious states in general have always used overly harsh penalties for blasphemy. 15 days is a relatively light sentence. Especially considering that this is Sudan and westerners living there need to have some understanding of its societal norms.
Not that I think the teacher should be punished.
Not that I'm in favor of religious totalitarian genocidal states.
But I can at least understand it. I think it falls withing the gray area of moral relativism.
I wonder which decision the religious right will hate more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment