Thursday, November 29, 2007

NCAA Week 14

Well this is it folks, the last week in what might have been the craziest regular season ever. Most teams are done and a whole bunch of coaches are out, but is all comes down to this. Let's start with the only one I care about:

Pitt at West Virginia. LET'S GOOOO MOUNTAINEERS!!! Having already locked up their fourth Big East Championship in 7 years under Rich Rodriguez, the Eers finish the season with the 100th playing of the Backyard Brawl! This one's for all the marbles, win and you're in. Pitt leads the series 59-37-3, but the Eers have won 11 of the last 15. In the past two years against Pitt, White has 440 yards and four touchdowns rushing and 245 yards and three touchdowns passing. Slaton has 394 yards and four touchdowns rushing and seven catches for 146 yards and three touchdowns as a receiver.

Rutgers at Louisville. Rutgers. Thoughts of the Louisville defense have Ray Rice salivating. Brian Brohm is probably kind of happy that they won't go bowling; this horrible mistake he made returning for his senior year will mercifully end.

Boston College and VT in ACC Championship. VT. Fuck the Hokies. I'm going to bring back the old "tear your ACL" cheer that I haven't used since VT had a Vick for this all-Big East traitors ACC Championship.

LSU and Tennessee in SEC Championship. LSU. Could this be Les Miles last game on the Bayou? LSU wins this by one point after a fourth quarter come back. There's no time on the clock, LSU could tie it with the PAT, but Miles elects to go for two and the win. LSU proves once again that its better to be lucky than to be good.

Oregon State at Oregon. Oregon State. It's the Civil War! Somehow, there is no line on this game. Come on people, does anyone seriously think the Ducks stand a chance without Dixon? They got shut out by UCLA after all.

UCLA at USC. USC. I told you USC was going to win the Pac 10. Somewhere, el Diablo is smiling.

Cal at Stanford. Cal. In a game that only Paine really cares about, I was tempted to pick the trees, who did beat USC after all. But they lost to Notre Dame. There is no coming back from that one.

Arizona at Arizona State. Arizona State. There's some long attenuated scenario involving ASU losing here that could put UCLA in the Rose Bowl. Yawn. The Sun Devils will be fine, but it could be close.

Missouri and Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship. Oklahoma. Screw Mizzou. The thought of what Pat White could do to the Buckeye's defense after what Juice Willaims did to them pretty much arrouses me.

Washington at Hawaii. Hawaii. Fine, I accept it. No one is going to beat the Rainbow Warriors.

6 comments:

Jefferson said...

do you think Oklahoma and Arizona State Both cover the spreads.

Hamilton said...

well I think they could both be close, but it doesn't take much to cover a 3 point and a 6.5 point spread...so probably. Winning by a TD covers both.

Paine said...

All your picks are the smart ones... and given the way this season has gone, that's why they can't all be right.

I think the most likely upsets are UCLA over USC, BC over VaTech, and, as horrendous as it is to think about, Stanford over Cal. UCLA always gets up bigtime against big teams, especially USC, and their stats against highly ranked teams are pretty awesome. BC beat VaTech in their previous game this season, and even though it only came as a last minute comeback, they've proven they can do it. As for Stanford beating Cal... Cal sucks now, and that's all I care to say about that.

I don't consider Oregon State beating Oregon an upset. Oregon has no passing without Dixon and Oregon State has the best rush defense in the country (take that, self-righteous SEC defenses), so Oregon won't be able to get its running game going either. I think there's a reasonable chance of it being another shutout.

Anonymous said...

I like how Jefferson has to ask Hamilton about OKLA and ASU covering the spreads when Jefferson has huge bid orders out on both teams in TS.

Hamilton said...

Paine, I completely agree with you that those are the most likely upsets, although I would add Tennessee over LSU and Mizzou over Oklahoma as a distinct possibilities as well.

And yeah, Oregon State over Oregon is not an upset. As I said, I can't believe the Beavers aren't favored.

Scott said...

My deepest condolences to all fans of WVU and Cal at this blog.