After one the craziest weekends in college football this decade, I have decided to retire my "upset of the week" picks, because I think many of the rankings right now are totally inaccurate and will change greatly in the next month. This weekend is not nearly as important as it would have been if 7 of the top 13 teams hadn't lost.
(8) Kentucky at (11) South Carolina. South Carolina. Like many teams in the top ten, Kentucky is here by default, which is the same reason the Gamecocks are ranked this high. I believe that Kentucky has never beaten Spurrier and I'm not holding my breath on that changing this year.
(9) Florida at (1) LSU. LSU. Its about time. I know I speak for everyone outside of Gainesville when I say that we are tired of the gators winning EVERYTHING. Its time to give everyone else a chance. So let all enjoy Urban Meyer first two game losing streak since he was at Bowling Green because who knows when this will happen again.
(4) Ohio State at (23) Purdue. Purdue. Ohio State is also number 4 by default. Purdue probably won't actually beat them, because losing a half to Notre Dame speaks badly of the Boilermakers, but I just want the Bucks knocked out ASAP to make room for quality teams.
(10) Okahoma v. (19) Texas in Dallas. Oklahoma. Two more of the teams that eased my pain this weekend with much worse loses of their own. This might not actually be much of a game. Even with the loss to Colorado, Oklahoma is much better.
(5) WIsconsin at Illinois. Illinois. Wisconsin is living on borrowed time. The Illini are probably the best team they have met this year, and I doubt they will escape again. Zook actually has a decent chance to win the Big Ten.
(12) Georgia at Tenn. Georgia. Its going to be another long year on Rockytop.
(15) Virginia Tech at (22) Clemson. Clemson. The Hokies offense is bad bad bad. Even with the Clemson implosion beginning, I have to favor them in this game.
(20 Cincinnati at (21) Rutgers. Cincy. Cincy spoiled Rutgers BCS plans last year and will end them earlier this year. Rutgers is just not that good. Losing to Maryland at home is not acceptable for a serious Big East contender.
(25) Nebraska at (17) Missouri. Missouri. Nebraska has no defense. They should have lost to Ball State; they will lose to Mizzou.
Kansas at (24) Kansas State. Kansas State. Well Kansas is like UConn - undefeated by playing high school teams. It should be over for the Jayhawks in Manhattan this weekend.
Beatdown of the Week: Notre Dame at UCLA. UCLA. Well, after a 5 game warm-up against a bunch of mediocre teams, ND finally gets into the meat of their schedule. I fully expect three more loses, but I will be interested to see if the Irish can continue to show the offensive improvement they showed against Michigan State and Purdue or if those teams just had really bad defenses (which they do). Of course, even with those performances, the Irish remain last in 1-A in total offense and scoring offense with 194.8 yards and 9.2 points per game.
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I don't know about beat down of the week but the Irish will lose.
For Beatdown of the Week I'd pick Oklahoma over Texas. I expect the Sooners to crush the Longhorns.
And while I'm rarely curious about the Big 10, I'm quite curious about the Wisconsin/Illinois game. It does look like Zook's actually turned the Illini into a real football team. If that was ever the case before (was it?) it's the first time in many years.
I don't disagree with the OK-TX evaluation.
While in some ways I'm loving the weirdness of this season - it's just sort of fun to be reading a story and see a remark about 51 Illinois or 5-1 Indiana or undefeated Kansas - some of the individual games here I don't get. TN destroys GA? Stanford over USC? Notre Dame actually won a game? Bizarre.
Post a Comment