Thursday, October 18, 2007

Paine's Take on NCAA Week 8

Usually I just add my thoughts in the comments, but I have too many this time, so here we go!

(1) Ohio State v Michigan State: Ohio State. But not by much. As far as I'm concerned, this is OSU's first real test this season (yes, I have more confidence in Michigan State than in Purdue). But I agree, OSU shouldn't be #1.

(2) South Florida v Rutgers: South Florida. But barely. I don't believe in either team, and I wouldn't be surprised either way, but South Florida is a legit top ten team and Rutgers is not. Rooting for Rutgers because SF in the championship game would be just retarded.

(4) LSU v Auburn: LSU. LSU is the best team in the country, this win should put them back in the top 2.

(7) Kentucky v (15) Florida: Kentucky. But this should be really close. I like both of them a lot, I think they have great teams, but Kentucky did what Florida couldn't in beating LSU.

(10) Oregon at Washington: Oregon. Washington has the potential to be a ranked team, but I think Oregon is a legit top 6-7 team, so I think they'll take it. The Pac-10 has lots of parity and lots of good teams and lots of upsets as a result, but I don't think this'll be one of them.

(12) Cal v UCLA: Cal. Cal's the best team in the Pac-10 (close, Oregon, but no cigar). They barely lost last week when their freshman QB had a huge mental brainfart. He's a talented player, and even if #1 Longshore doesn't start I think the Bears will be fine; Riley won't make that kind of mistake ever again.

(13) Kansas v Colorado: Kansas. Not sold on them either, but I'm more sold on them than I am on Colorado.

(14) USC v ND: USC. If USC loses, I expect Pete Carroll to jump to the NFL next year.

(16) Missouri v (24) Texas Tech: Texas Tech. This is a battle of the bigger offense, and I think Tech will take it.

(19) Virginia v Maryland: Maryland. Agreed, no idea what UVA is doing at #19.

Penn State at Indiana: Penn State. I was at State College last weekend to see the Nittany Lions take on Wisconsin, and they absolutely destroyed the Badgers at every level and every opportunity; the 38-7 score was actually closer than the gameplay reflected. Penn State is better than you think.

(25) Michigan v Illinois: Illinois. Have people forgotten Michigan's loss to a AA team and complete destruction at the hands of Oregon? A lucky win v Penn State and wins over nobody since then should not get a team into the top 25.

4 comments:

Hamilton said...

We generally agree.

I didn't pick the OSU game because I don't think it will be close.

As for USF - they are trying to become one of my most hated rivals, my USC if you will (my stanford will aways be VT...). And I am cheering against them so WVU can win the big east.

Now that I have found out about one of UF's players died last week, I am getting buyers remorse on them...

Washington is dead to me. I picked them with the upset twice already and they betrayed me. I expect the Ducks to crush them.

I forgot that I even picked the Texas Tech game. I could not care less about it.

I don't think beating a terrible Wisconsin team says much. But if my roommate ever found out I picked Indiana, she would disown me.

Hamilton said...

And I will be mailing my thank you card to Piscataway, NJ tomorrow to Rutgers for ruining USFs season.

Paine said...

Man, I picked Rutgers at first and then edited my post. What was I thinking??

Hamilton said...

Tough loss to the Bruins dude...