Tuesday, April 24, 2007

First Sports Post: Champions League Semi-Finals

This is the first post on the blog about Sports. I'm personally happy that its about Soccer. Hopefully other blog members will post about sports as well. My favorite sports are Football (Pro and College), Soccer, and College Basketball. My favorite teams are the New England Patriots, Boston Redsox, and the Georgetown Hoyas. This post however is about European Soccer.

I'm thrilled that Soccer has finally risen to the popularity in this nation that allows ESPN2 to run the European feed live. Now understandably what else is really on at 2:45 on a Tuesday; however in fact three Baseball games overlap the Semi-final. Luckily ratings were high enough for the World Cup last summer and from other games shown to convince ESPN to broadcast the game live. I'm excited to watch some good soccer. I'm glad we have the MLS, I cheer for D.C. United, but the level of play just doesn't compare.

For those readers who don't know how the Champion's League works, I'll give a brief explanation: Their are three qualifying rounds that narrow down the European Club teams to the top 32 teams. They are split into 8 groups of 4. Each group plays a double round robbin. Top two teams of each group advance to the round of 16. Now unlike the World Cup or American Football playoffs, each pairing plays twice, once at home, once away. Two wins and you advance, a win and a tie you advance. If there are a win and a loss for each team then the first tie breaker is goal differential and the second is goals scored away. In the event of two ties, goals scored away is the tie breaker. In the last two scenarios if tie breakers don't determine the winner than extra time and eventually penalty kicks are used in the second leg to determine the winner. This pattern is followed through the semi-finals. The Final is just one game played at a neutral pre-determined location, much like the Superbowl. Outside of the World Cup, this is the most prestigious Soccer tournament in the world.

Generally I cheer for Man U. This year however I'm hoping A.C. Milan can knock them out of the Champions League. The main reason is that I don't like one nation finals. It happened a few years ago with two Italian teams and I thought that lack the luster of a good champions league final. I know the final should pit the best two European club teams on the pitch and let them play it out. My problem with a one nation final is that those rivalries can be fought out in Italian Serie A or the English Premiere League. No need to play it out twice. Secondly, Man. U. is beat up, they only have 13 healthy members of their senior squad and two of those are Keepers, none of their starting backs can go; if they were healthy I think they would be the best team in the tournament. Lets get two healthy teams to the finals, lets see what the best in the sport can do. I think Milan will win the first leg 2-1 and the second leg 1-0.

The second semi-final sees two good English Sides playing for a spot in the final. I think this one will be closer. I expect Liverpool to advance drawing(tie) away and winning at home.

~Jefferson

5 comments:

Rob said...

First, any fan of English Premier League would call "soccer" by its real name "football". Screw the fact that we have our own football here (though I'll assume you use "soccer" to avoid confusion).

Secondly, cheering for Man U is so lame. Its like being from Germany and rooting for the Yankees or the Dallas Cowboys because they sell more merchandise than everyone else. Check out the Sports Guy for more info on choosing a EPL team (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719).

I root for Chelsea. Before you make snide comments about how I like them because they've been good lately - I base my team selection on actually attending a Premiership game (Fulham v. Bolton). Any team that can inspire such hate to have the Fulham crowd chant constantly "GO FULHAM, GO FULHAM, F**K CHELSEA" deserves some credit. I love the Premiership.

Lastly, Champions League is simply amazing. I must say that my favorite Champions League teams are Chelsea and Juventus. This largely stems from my favorite Champions League tourney (2004-2005). Juventus had two amazing showings first against Real Madrid, and then a heartbreaking loss to the eventual winner, Liverpool.

Jefferson said...

Robert,

I like Man U because I like Van Der Sar, and because I use them as my team name in winning 11's master's league. I actually probably like Celtic the most because I've watched them play here in the States. Its tuff to choose teams so I cheer for random reasons, like because I like DC United and Manchester has the same name. I understand what your saying about it being like cheering for the yankees but as you can see by my cheering against them today, there's no strong loyalty.

Unknown said...

Man, I would love a Milan/Liverpool final just so Milan can get revenge for that debacle of a second half the last time they met.

While I really hope Milan wins (they're my boys after all) Manchester United does have youth on their side, while Milan is an aging squad. Hopefully experience can overcome youthful energy this time around. Forza Milan!

Rob said...

Even worse! Be loyal. Be so loyal you'd be willing to shave your team's symbol into your hair so your team will win. Thats a Premiership fan.

Ironically enough, I saw Van der Sar play when he was Fulham's keep during the 2001 season. Fulham lost to Bolton because of a bonehead performance by Van der Sar.

I do think that Christiano Ronaldo is an unreal player. Though I'll root for him when he's playing for Portugal not Man U.

Rob said...

Speaking of Cristiano Ronaldo.... GOALLLLL