I'm sorry, but there is nothing unreasonable about Congressional demands for the troops to come home. Polls show that America has overwhelmingly turned against the war. Americans want our troops home. A wave of Democrats were elected, largely based upon dissatisifcation with the manner in which Iraq has been handled. Congress is now using its power of the purse strings to reign in the war. Exercising its Constitutional responsibility is not unreasonable, in fact it is, well, Congress' responsibility.
I understand why the President blusters and talks in this fashion. He still believes that a troop surge is the correct course in Iraq. Despite the recommendation and beliefs of just about everyone else involved, including the commission that he appointed to study the problem, Bush and his administration push forward. I believe he will blink and back down as long as the Democrats have the spine to stand up to him. I certainly hope, and believe, they will. My only fear is that Bush will prove more stubborn and pigheaded than I realized and even in the face of dried up funding and mounting casualites he will "stay the course." Bush will push this situation to the brink in an effort to win, but in the end I think he can, should, and will, prove that all of this talk is just bluster.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment