Monday, April 16, 2007

Virginia Tech

The shootings at Virginia Tech are tragic. Our thoughts and sympathies go out to the victims, their families, their friends. and everyone who is part of the Virginia Tech community. As someone who grew up in Virginia, I hope that healing and understanding will come to those affected.

3 comments:

Hamilton said...

I would just like to know the explanation for the utter incompetence with which this was handled by the authorities at VTech. The fact that TWO HOURS after a fatal shooting in a dorm the school still had classes with a murderer on campus that they had not apprehended. One has to wonder what this guy was doing for those 2 hours as he leisurely made his way across the 2600 acre campus. Perhaps his was having a coffee and bagel while the administration and campus police decided to put their entire student body in danger.

Paine said...

I wish I'd gotten a screen capture of the Drudge Report after this story broke. His headline made sure to note that the killer was Asian. If he were white, would that have happened. That's a guaranteed no.

Also, Jack Thompson, the guy who's famous for blaming video games for real-life violence, was taken on Fox to espouse his belief that video games are the cause. There's no indication that he played video games at all! I hate how we racialize and politicize tragedies like thse, and it didn't even take two hours.

Hamilton said...

Oh, I read numerous comments on the MSNBC open discussion of this that this never would have happened if we let the faculty and students take concealed weapons to school. Thats the answer to school violence everyone - MORE GUNS!