Friday, April 13, 2007

Hate Crime Bill Named for Matthew Shepard

I think this to be bittersweet to say the least. Matt Shepard is a tragedy that we should never forget so I understand naming this bill for him and humanizing the bill in that way. But its equally tragic that 10 years after his death this bill has not been passed. And there is no reason to think it will be passed any time soon considering today's political climate. America should be ashamed - 10 years later and his suffering and his family's suffering has given us nothing but a viscerally tragic play/movie and more protections for murderers than their victims.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Ummm, Hamilton, why do you think it's not going to be passed any time soon? The very first sentence of the article you link to says - "Supporters of hate-crimes legislation said Thursday they expect Congress to enact a law this year expanding federal penalties for acts of violence against homosexuals."

Hamilton said...

Why do I think that? Cynicism, pure and simple.